Darryl McCauley made headlines in 2010 when he was convicted of embezzling millions of dollars from his celebrity half-brother, comedian Dane Cook. As Dane Cook’s business manager from the 1990s to 1998, Darryl was entrusted with handling the star’s financial affairs. However, he abused this position of trust and stole large sums from his younger brother.
The revelation of the embezzlement scheme came as a shock to many, especially given the close relationship the two brothers once shared. So where is Darryl McCauley now, over a decade later? And what became of Dane Cook’s lost fortune?
- Darryl McCauley, comedian Dane Cook’s half-brother, embezzled millions from him while serving as his business manager.
- Darryl was sentenced to 6 years in prison in 2010 but his current whereabouts are unknown. He should have been released in 2016.
- It’s unclear if Dane Cook was ever able to recover the money stolen from him. His net worth dropped significantly after the embezzlement but is now estimated at $35 million.
Who is Darryl McCauley?
Darryl McCauley was born in 1965 in Arlington, Massachusetts to Donna Jean Ford and George F. Cook. He and Dane Cook grew up together in an working class neighborhood along with their sister Courtney.
Dane and Darryl share the same father but have different mothers. When Dane’s comedy career started taking off in the 1990s, he brought his big brother Darryl on board to manage his business affairs. At the time, Darryl was in his late 20s while Dane was still a teenager.
Little is publicly known about Darryl’s personal life. He married a woman named Erika McCauley at some point, but details on their relationship are scarce. The couple has no children together.
How Darryl McCauley Embezzled From Dane Cook
Darryl began handling Dane’s finances in the early 90s when Dane was first breaking into standup comedy. As Dane’s star rose, Darryl had near complete control over his younger brother’s business and bank accounts.
Some of the ways Darryl misappropriated Dane’s money include:
- Writing checks to himself from Dane’s accounts, disguising them as business expenses
- Using Dane’s money to make mortgage payments on 5 properties in Los Angeles that were purchased under Darryl’s name or his wife’s name
- Charging personal expenses on Dane’s credit cards, including veterinary bills
- Transferring nearly $3 million from Dane’s accounts to his own accounts
It’s estimated that Darryl embezzled as much as $12 million from his brother over the years. The theft climbed as Dane became more famous and Darryl was entrusted with more of his finances.
|Estimated Amount Embezzled
In the late 90s, Dane finally wised up to Darryl’s misconduct and cut ties with him. He discovered the large withdrawals and questionable expenses on his accounts.
Dane terminated Darryl as his manager in 1998 but did not take legal action at the time. However, he worked with attorneys to build a case against Darryl over the next decade.
Darryl McCauley’s Conviction and Prison Sentence
In May 2010, Darryl McCauley was arrested and charged with embezzling millions from Dane Cook. After a lengthy investigation, prosecutors had gathered enough evidence of the fraudulent activity dating back 15 years.
The case finally went to trial in October 2010. Darryl was convicted on 14 counts of larceny, forgery, and improper use of Dane’s credit cards.
Key facts about Darryl’s conviction and sentence:
- He was convicted on 14 counts related to embezzlement and forgery.
- Darryl was sentenced to 6 years in Medium Security Prison in Massachusetts.
- He received an additional sentence of 16 years probation upon release.
- Darryl was ordered to pay restitution to Dane Cook, although the amount was not specified.
- In addition to prison time, Darryl’s sentence included alcohol abuse treatment and Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
- Darryl’s wife Erika filed for divorce shortly after he was convicted.
Darryl began serving his 6 year prison sentence in 2011 at age 45. This means he should have been released from prison sometime around 2016 or 2017.
However, there are no records of him being released or his current whereabouts. Darryl appears to have served his sentence quietly, without press coverage.
What Happened to the Money Darryl Stole?
Its estimated that Darryl McCauley embezzled anywhere from $12 million to $15 million from Dane Cook over a 5 year period. This massive theft critically impacted Cook’s net worth and finances.
The exact amount Cook was able to recover, if any, has not been made public. We do know:
- Cook worked closely with lawyers to build a solid case against Darryl, suggesting he was determined to get his money back.
- The court ordered Darryl to pay restitution to Cook as part of his sentence, but the amount is undisclosed.
- Cook’s net worth never fully rebounded to its estimated $35 million peak before the embezzlement.
Today, sources estimate Dane Cook’s net worth to be about $20 million. While still wealthy, the losses from his brother’s betrayal appear to have had a lasting impact.
It seems doubtful that Cook was able to recoup the full $15 million stolen from him over a decade ago. Embezzled funds are notoriously difficult to recover in full, especially with the passage of so much time.
Darryl does not seem to have the assets to repay such a massive sum. While Cook likely recovered some money through the courts, he will probably never be fully compensated for his brother’s financial crimes.
Where is Darryl McCauley Now?
Following his conviction in 2010 and imprisonment in 2011, Darryl McCauley has largely disappeared from public view. Considering he was likely released from prison around 2016, his current whereabouts are essentially unknown.
Some possibilities on the current status of Darryl McCauley:
- He was released from prison after completing his sentence but has laid low to avoid media attention.
- He could have changed his name or left the state after being freed.
- There is a chance he violated probation and was re-incarcerated.
- Darryl may still be living in Massachusetts near where he grew up.
- It’s doubtful he reconciled with brother Dane Cook, given the enormity of the betrayal.
- He is now in his late 50s (born in 1965) so may be retired.
- His ex-wife Erika McCauley divorced him shortly after his conviction.
Unless Darryl chooses to re-emerge into the public spotlight, his whereabouts and status may remain a mystery. Dane Cook has not provided any updates on his half-brother’s situation in recent years.
For now, the current chapter in the tragic McCauley-Cook saga that saw brother betray brother remains unfinished. The location of the convicted embezzler Darryl McCauley still generates intrigue over a decade later.
Fallout From the Embezzlement Scandal
The revelations about Darryl McCauley’s betrayal and extensive theft from brother Dane Cook proved shocking on many levels.
First, it stunned fans who saw the funnyman as a perpetually enthusiastic and upbeat performer. Learning his trusted sibling swindled him for years in the shadows put Cook in a new, more sympathetic light.
On a deeper level, the saga represented a tragic betrayal of family trust. That Darryl could so heartlessly steal millions from his own brother for years left many feeling Cook’s pain.
The scandal seemed to damage Cook’s career momentum in subsequent years. His stand up tours were still successful but did not generate the same level of interest as his meteoric rise in the early 2000s.
However, recent years have seen a career resurgence for Dane Cook. He continues performing live and has added acting roles to his repertoire.
While the Darryl McCauley embezzlement case tarnished Cook’s image temporarily, his talent and loyal fanbase have helped him recover and move forward.
The betrayal of Dane Cook by half-brother Darryl McCauley stands as one of the most shocking celebrity scandals in recent memory. As Cook’s business manager, Darryl abused his position and stole up to $15 million to fund a lavish lifestyle.
He served 6 years in prison but has not been heard from since expectedly finishing his sentence around 2016. Dane Cook’s finances took a big hit but he has rebounded with a current net worth of $20 million.
Still, the emotional damage from such a personal betrayal may linger. While Cook has found career resurgence, his half-brother remains banished and in hiding for swindling the comedian who trusted him most.